Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Manifesto for On Line Sharing

I joined Facebook for the purpose of sharing personal info and connecting with old friends. It works great with one major exception. When I find an item that I would like to share on my wall, everyone in my friend's list is notified and allowed to comment. My political beliefs are not something I am trying to foist on anyone. There are friends that will appreciate seeing some of the things that I am interested in and others that will want no part of it. Fair enough, but if I open the door, some people insist on coming in. I don't want them to! I have "Facebook Friends " that I have not seen in 35 years, insisting on engaging in political commentary. That is not why I made them a "Friend". I get their notices as well and some of the crap they are suggesting others read is frankly insulting to me and others I know. I'm glad to share old times and new events but I don't want to lose respect for people just because their extremist views are not the same as mine. It will be even more troubling when it is a relative. I think most of the people on FB let things go pretty easily. So far no one has scolded me for not passing on some Farmville data, which is good because I don't know what it is all about and I know what to ignore. Since it is not really fair to post something and expect it to be ignored by some and embraced by others, I am creating this blog for the purpose of passing on political material. I will notify specific individuals of it's presence and they may visit as they see fit. I may be an argumentation teacher but that does not mean I want to debate every night. If you come across this blog by accident, feel free to browse and enjoy, but unless we talk on a regular basis, leave me the hell alone and keep your stupid comments to yourself. (Anne this does not refer to you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment